Are you a product manager with a passion for the future potential of higher education?
Do you love the idea of applying human centered design to create a digital credential marketplace that is affordable, portable and relevant to the fast changing workforce landscape?
The Education Design Lab is seeking an Education Designer, Digital Credentials Product Manager, with at least 7 years of relevant experience for an exciting position that could redefine how post-secondary learners build competencies throughout their lives. And how they earn credit for prior learning or non-traditional learning, which might expedite or supplant the path to a degree. After four years of prototyping and implementing pilots with 20 universities and 50 employers, the Lab is building an online platform to support institutions and non-traditional learning providers in the delivery of 21st century skills micro-credentials. Over 400 institutions have signed the Lab’s Memorandum of Understanding to consider use of our micro-credentials. We are seeking a candidate to help us develop scalable solutions that respond to the emerging opportunities and growing demand for micro-credentials. This position will also lead other Lab engagements with higher education institutions and non-traditional learning providers looking to adapt to the dramatic disruptions now facing the post-secondary sector.
What will you do?
The Education Designer, Digital Credentials Product Manager will synthesize the user needs and manage the process to create a micro-credentialing platform that serves institutions and non-traditional learning providers as they design and implement learning pathways to capture 21st century skills. You will also work directly with institutions who engage the Lab to develop their own solutions. As a non-profit, the Lab takes on those promising projects that will best make the case for an emerging digital credential marketplace that will support equitable futures. You will be instrumental in testing the online platform with the first set of institutional users, supporting their onboarding and use of the system. The work will also involve considerable planning, implementation and tracking. Central to this work will be the ability to define and maintain an ongoing workflow and arc of the engagement, manage communication across university teams and external stakeholders (e.g., employers, tech providers, funders). And you will engage experts from the Lab and externally to help design the process and synthesize learnings.
What skills are we looking for?
- Product management ninja skills. Ability to bring structure and accountability to initiatives involving multiple institutions.
- Familiarity with higher education’s emerging digital credential movement.
- Significant experience in/around higher education that will inspire confidence in our partners and clients. Prior work in systems, capacity building and online learning design is helpful.
- Familiarity with selling and/or implementing tech-based programs, systems or resources to higher ed clients, particularly in the academic realm.
- Familiarity with critical innovation frameworks, such as design thinking, change management, lean start-up and agile
- Primary 21st Century Skills: oral, written communication, creative problem solving, collaboration, and resilience.
- Attention to detail; ability to quickly organize and prioritize tasks; comfort with juggling complex long-term goals and immediate needs.
- Solution-oriented and capable of working with and managing to timelines.
- Ability to keep diverse stakeholders informed and engaged about progress, ideas, needs and changes.
- Skilled at educating the uninitiated and “selling” new ideas to key stakeholders.
Because we work in the innovation spaces of education, our team comes from a range of professional backgrounds and interests. Below are some of the different professional and knowledge areas that we look for in applicants:
- Ed Tech Product Manager, Account Executive, SaaS sales
- Knowledge of the emerging digital credentialing landscape
- Non-profit management and development (grant management, proposal writing)
- Start-ups (edtech)
- Marketing (social media marketing, content marketing)
- Graphic design and visual storytelling
- Design thinking
Important! How to Apply:
This position is full-time and based in Washington, DC. Some travel required. Please submit resume and a cover letter no later than 5:00 PM ET, February 19, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit applications to email@example.com.
About the Lab
The Education Design Lab is situated in a lively co-working space in Dupont Circle, Washington, DC. We are a growing national non-profit working to help “intra-preneurs” and entrepreneurs reimagine education to meet the changing needs of America’s learners. Traditional and new learning institutions face complex challenges. We work across several key areas that are making change possible: from micro-credentialing to experiential learning and 21st century skill development, from student supports to seamless transfer pathways. We are committed to creating new models and building institutions’ capacity to adapt as workforce and consumer demands quickly evolve.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Education Design Lab is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Industry: Higher Education Civic & Social Organization
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Functions: Strategy/Planning Design Product Management